Common Orthodontic Terms You Should Know: Part 2

November 27, 2012

When talking about your braces, there are some important terms to know that will make discussing treatment with your orthodontist easier. Take a look at the list below to learn some of these terms, and always ask your orthodontist if you have any questions:

fixing bite

Braces are the fixed appliances that your orthodontist uses to move your teeth into alignment. They are used to correct overbites, underbites, or spacing or crowding issues.

Brackets are the part of your braces that are cemented to your tooth. They hold the archwire of your braces in place to facilitate the movement of your teeth.

Once your orthodontic treatment is complete, it’s time for your braces to come off! The debonding process removes the brackets from your teeth .

Elastics (Rubber Bands)
Either called elastics or rubber bands , these stretchy, removable bands help to align your jaws or teeth.

In some cases, impacted wisdom teeth or other teeth must be extracted from your mouth before you can receive orthodontic treatment. Extractions are only done in cases where there is not enough room in your mouth for all of your teeth to fit in proper alignment.

Hawley Retainer
When your braces come off, you may be given a Hawley retainer to help maintain your new smile. Your retainer will consist of a metal wire to hold the teeth in place cemented in an acrylic base that fits against the top of your mouth.

In some cases, orthodontic treatment requires you to wear headgear. This is a strap that fits around your head and attaches to your braces to keep the growth of your upper jaw in check.

For more information about orthodontic treatment, visit Dr. David Seligman of Seligman Orthodontics on Park Avenue. Visit us online or call us at (646) 681-8516 to find out more about how we can create a personalized treatment plan for you.

No comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *